Sunday, April 26, 2009

Going to The Shack

You've heard about the novel, The Shack, and perhaps you've read it. I was dubious until I saw William P. Young, the author, speaking about his life and why he wrote the novel. I was in tears.

Now I know people who hated this book, and I know people who loved it. I'm not sure there are many in between.

I am one who loved it. I love it when a book takes God out of "the box" people try to put him in.

Did you know that the place where Paul Young has set his story is real? There is a Joseph, Oregon, and there is a Wallowa Lake where the tragedy occurs.

Well, this coming Thursday my husband is driving me to Wallowa Lake where I will be speaking for a women's retreat Friday through Sunday. I will share my topic "Friends, the Silver Lining in Difficult Times," which is based on a song I wrote for the amazing people who lifted and carried me places in Israel I would never have experienced without their help. We were working together on an archaeological excavation team. I can hardly wait to speak to these wonderful women I've communicated with, and I can hardly wait to see some of the sites I have imagined in my mind while reading The Shack.

I've always been this way. After reading historical fiction I could hardly wait to see Andrew Jackson's home "The Hermitage" in Nashville, Tennessee. It met my every expectation. And since I've seen photos now of the area where I'll speak I know it will do so as well.

I hope if you've been afraid to read this book you'll take a risk and see what it's about. And let me know what you thought of it if you've already read it. I'll let you know what I think of the area the author describes after my weekend away!

I'm stopping for now--I spoke this morning and am a little tired.

Have a great week!

Jo

2 comments:

William Paul Young said...

It's an amazing reading the shack of William p Young. Great book indeed. God will speak to you through Paul.

Jo Franz said...

I'm glad you wrote. Yes, most of us have a shack where we need to deal with God about things.