Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas versus Happy Holidays

Snows blankets our trees, walks, streets and land, and its beauty hasn't ceased to amaze me since it began falling a week ago. We must have had over 12 inches fall since Wednesday along with layers of freezing ice in between the inches of snow. Since the Portland, Oregon/southwestern Washington area doesn't get lots of snowfall we love it! (And since I grew up in Colorado I love it as well.)

I do know that snow does not make for a wonderful Christmas. I've been to the birth place of Jesus--Bethlehem, Israel, and it rarely snows there either. So, I doubt it snowed on the eve or day of his birth, though it's possible.

For me, this time of year is Christmas--Christ/mas--the celebration of Jesus Christ's birth (though the date being accurate is irrelevant to me). This means I say, "Have a Merry Christmas" or "Have a blessed Christmas" not "Happy Holidays"!

I experienced two hours of MRIs (done annually due to the MS) two weeks ago, and when I was finished in the banging tube (TV does NOT do an MRI justice, you feel like you're in a war zone!) I told the technicians "Merry Christmas!" I was told, "Thanks! We don't get much of that." We talked about being "politically correct" and I said I am "politically incorrect!"

I want to wish you a Merry Christmas full of God's blessings. I wish you would put aside waiting to know about Jesus if you've been doing so--he has been my hope and joy since 1972--and I can't imagine life without his peace flooding my soul.

And if you want it . . . I hope you get snow as well!

Jo

No comments: